Map

Location

The Chapel is situated in the middle of Tolpuddle between the modern Methodist Chapel and the Martyrs Inn. Other sites of interest in the village are the Martyrs’ Museum, the Martyrs’ tree and the grave of James Hammett. Click on the map below to see a larger image.
Tolpuddle map 2014 chapel trust

History

Conservation Statement for the Former Chapel

9a After Emergency Repair to West
The Conservation Report, grant-aided by English Heritage, was commissioned from Keystone Historic Buildings Consultants by the Tolpuddle Old Chapel Trust in January 2015.

The purpose of this document is to clarify the guiding principles for the future conservation of the former chapel, understood as the careful management of its fabric and historic significance in the context of sympathetic new uses.

**** Click here to see extract from Conservation Report ****

Significance of the Grade II * listed former Methodist Chapel built in Tolpuddle, Dorset

old chapel form south 3

The former chapel is listed as grade II* by English Heritage.

It was built in 1818 as a Methodist chapel. The continued existence of this chapel can be confirmed through to 1843, and it may well have remained in use until a new village Methodist chapel was built in 1862-63.

As a chapel it was used for worship by at least four of the six Dorsetshire Labourers, who in 1838 became known as the Tolpuddle Martyrs. Three of them may well have preached from its pulpit. It is believed that George Loveless ,one of the Dorsetshire Labourers, was a lay preacher in the chapel.  It is likely that George Loveless & Thomas Standfield were actively involved in the construction of this unique cob building.

The building is mainly built of cob on brick and stone/flint bases. The roof has double roman clay tiles. The original door leading from the road is blocked with an infill window with a boarded hatch above it. There is a beautiful original central pointed arched window opening on the rear wall which is blocked with brickwork. The building is thought to be little altered from how it looked in the 1830’s, although it may have had a thatched roof at that time and some of the doors have been moved.

The 1999 English Heritage report on the building by David Robinson states:

“Apart from the historical significance of the site, the simple and austere architecture of the chapel should not be underestimated. It is an example of a small rural Methodist building with its roots in the pioneering aspirations of this branch of nonconformism.”

The building is currently, and has been for a number of years, in a poor state of repair and currently is not in use. It is on the At Risk Register, English Heritage Building ID: 106409

It has been used for agricultural purposes for the last 150 years or so.

In February 2015 the building and site were purchased by a newly formed Building Preservation Trust – The Tolpuddle Old Chapel Trust (TOCT)

 Emergency repairs to stabilise the cob walls and to make the building wind and water tight started on Tuesday 17th February 2015, funded by a £9500 grant from English Heritage and managed by the Tolpuddle Old Chapel Trust (TOCT). It is hoped that the major conservation works will be completed by 2018 to coincide with the 200th anniversary of the opening of the building.

The Trust looks forward to consulting local people about possible future uses for the building once renovation work is complete.

The development of the former Chapel will also help to enhance the visitor and tourist experience as part of the ‘rural life’ heritage corridor linking Dorchester with Hardy’s Birthplace, Athelhampton House and Tolpuddle. The former Chapel is featured on the new Audiovisual Trail being developed by the Tolpuddle Martyrs Museum.

Click the links below to see audio/video presentations showing the history of Methodism in Tolpuddle and a time of trouble at the chapel.

The Trust would like to thank  The Tolpuddle Martyrs Museum Audio Trail for giving us permission to use these links.

Press Release 17-2-15

Tolpuddle’s Historic Former Methodist Chapel Acquired

A Grade II* listed former Methodist Chapel built in 1818 in Tolpuddle, Dorset has been purchased by a newly formed Building Preservation Trust helped by funds and expert advice from English Heritage.

Emergency repairs to stabilise the cob walls and to make the building wind and water tight started today (Tuesday 17th February 2015), funded by a £9500 grant from English Heritage and managed by the Tolpuddle Old Chapel Trust (TOCT). It is hoped that the major conservation works will be completed by 2018 to coincide with the 200th anniversary of the opening of the building.

Andrew McCarthy, Chairman of The Tolpuddle Old Chapel Trust (TOCT), said: “We are committed to sympathetically restoring this historically important former chapel which was once used for worship by at least four of the six Tolpuddle Martyrs and three of them may well have preached from its pulpit”

Andrew continued: “We are grateful to English Heritage and other partners who are helping to save this unique building for future generations to visit and enjoy. We look forward to consulting local people about possible future uses for the building once renovation work is complete. ”

Sarah Ball, Heritage at Risk Architect for English Heritage in the South West said: “We are very pleased that the Tolpuddle Old Chapel Trust has now secured ownership of this fascinating former chapel. The building is of real and very great historical interest. Our grant will enable much needed emergency work to be carried out to ensure its structural stability. We are looking forward to working with the Trust as they explore sympathetic and sustainable new uses and the repair of the building.”

Gavin Richards of AHF said “The Architectural Heritage Fund exists to support the re-use of redundant historic buildings around the UK. We are delighted to support a new local Trust in its efforts to bring this modest yet internationally important building back into sustainable use and, ultimately, see it removed from the Heritage at Risk Register.”

The development of the former Chapel will also help to enhance the visitor and tourist experience as part of the ‘rural life’ heritage corridor linking Dorchester with Hardy’s Birthplace, Athelhampton House and Tolpuddle. The former Chapel is featured on the new Audiovisual Trail being developed by the Tolpuddle Martyrs Museum. ( http://www.tolpuddlemartyrs.org.uk)

The continued existence of this chapel can be confirmed through to 1843, and it may well have remained in use until a new village Methodist chapel was built in 1862-63. For the next 150 years it has been used for agricultural purposes.

Further press information available from Andrew McCarthy email:
tolpuddleoctrust@btinternet.com

Debbie Hickman, Communications, English Heritage on 020 7973 3855 on
Debbie.hickman@english-heritage.org.uk

Gavin Richards, Development Manager The Architectural Heritage Fund
gavin.richards@ahfund.org.uk
www.ahfund.org.uk

Bridport and Dorchester Methodist Circuit
Superintendent Minister Revd Stephanie Jenner stephanie.jenner@methodist.org.uk
www.bridportanddorchester.org.uk

Steele Raymond LLP Solicitor SueAdams@steeleraymond.co.uk
www.steeleraymond.co.uk

Notes to editors:

TOLPUDDLE OLD CHAPEL TRUST
Tolpuddle Old Chapel Trust is a Registered Charity, Number 1159578 and a Registered Company, Number 8908950
The Trustees are:
Andrew McCarthy, Chairman,

Robert Brunt, Secretary
Revd Stephanie Jenner
Adrian Whittlesea
The objects of the Tolpuddle Old Chapel Trust are:
‘The preservation, maintenance and renovation of the grade II* listed former Methodist Chapel and its site in Tolpuddle, Dorset and its historical, architectural and constructional heritage, for the benefit of the people of Tolpuddle and of the Nation.’

SUPPORT
The Trust has also received financial support from:
The Architectural Heritage Fund awarded a grant for a Project Viability Report
Dorset County Council awarded a grant to support project development
Bridport and Dorchester Methodist Circuit have kindly provided a loan and assigned the time of their Superintendent Minister to be a Trustee.
Steele Raymond LLP, Solicitors kindly provided legal support and advice in relation to the acquisition.

THE BUILDING
The building is mainly built of cob on brick and stone/flint bases.
The roof has double roman clay tiles.
The original door leading from the road is blocked with an infill window with a boarded hatch above it.
There is a beautiful original central pointed arched window opening on the rear wall which is blocked with brickwork.

SIGNIFICANCE OF THE FORMER CHAPEL
The chapel was used for worship by at least four of the six Tolpuddle Martyrs, and three of them may well have preached from its pulpit. The continued existence of this chapel can be confirmed through to 1843, and it may well have remained in use until a new village Methodist chapel was built in 1862-63. For the next 150 years it has been used for agricultural use.
The 1999 English Heritage report on the building by David Robinson states:
“Apart from the historical significance of the site, the simple and austere architecture of the chapel should not be underestimated. It is an example of a small rural Methodist building.

Gallery

External Views before Emergency Repairs

Views after Emergency Repairs

More Photos

Supporters

The Trust would like to thank the following for their support:

AFH Logo

Grant awarded for Project Viability Report
Award of Project Development Grant

 Funding for emergency repairs and conservation report

   

Award of a Start Up Grant

DCC Logo
Grant awarded to support project development

Leisure and Development Grant

Methodist LogoBridport and Dorchester Methodist Circuit

Have kindly provided a loan and assigned the time
of their Superintendent Minister to be a Trustee.

sr_logotypes_01
Steele Raymond LLP Solicitors provided legal support
and advice in relation to the  acquisition.

 Design and exhibition services

 

 

Who’s Who

TOCT TRUSTEES(4) modified 1

TOCT Trustees Adrian Whittlesea, Stephanie Jenner, Rob Brunt, Andrew McCarthy

Trustees

Andrew McCarthy TOCT Chairman

Andrew McCathyAndrew McCarthy grew up and was educated in St Albans.
In the seventies and eighties he taught Environmental Science in Hertfordshire.
Following educational research at The University of East Anglia he spent the last 15 years of his career as Head of Science at a secondary school for children with special educational needs in Stevenage.
In 2006 Andrew and his wife moved to Tolpuddle and enjoy an active retirement.
He became interested in the former Methodist chapel after reading a letter in the Blackmore Vale magazine.

Rob Brunt – TOCT Secretary

Rob BruntRob was born in Barnham, Bognor Regis, West Sussex.A farmer’s son and one of six children.
Schooled at Teignmouth, Devon and graduated in Biological Sciences at Plymouth in 1980.
Rob worked for a number of conservation organisations around Britain and in the last 25-years has managed the Dorset Wildlife Trust’s nature reserves.
Has lived in Tolpuddle since 1992 and is married to Nicki and have a son, Joe, and a daughter, Emma, and a bouncy dog, Amber.

Revd Stephanie Jenner

Stephanie JennerRevd Stephanie Jenner was born and grew up in Milborne Port (near Sherborne), educated at Bruton and Bradford University (BEng Civil and Structural Engineering).
She worked for British Rail before taking a completely different career path and working for the charity sector in the community, especially with older people, fundraising and the Methodist Church.
She trained for the ministry in the early 2000s gaining an MA in Theology and Religious Studies and entered ministry in 2006, being ordained in 2008. After many years in West Yorkshire she returned to Dorset in 2013 as Superintendent Minister of the Bridport and Dorchester Circuit with her husband Peter and 3 student daughters.

Adrian Whittlesea

Adrian WhittleseaAdrian Whittlesea studied at the Ruskin School of Fine Art, Oxford. He was a freelance artist and tutor for five years before becoming Director of Art at Downside School, near Bath, for ten years. Then Education and Arts Officer for three Bath museums and correspondent for the Bath Chronicle on Planning and Architecture.

After six years living in France he returned to the UK in 2011 and lived in Tolpuddle for two years exhibiting his work at Southover House near the village.

Adrian has now settled in Yetminster near Sherborne. He is married to Anne, has four children and six grandchildren.

Volunteers

Colin Huckle – TOCT Treasurer

Colin HuckleUntil Moving to Weymouth in 2005 Colin lived on the Essex/East London Border. He obtained a Diploma in Management Studies and before he retired he was employed in a Senior Administrative role in the Management of a Major Public Open Space.
He has been a Trustee of three different charities as well as a Councillor for 18 years (1984 -2002) and a Non Executive Director in the National Health Service for 6 years, both offices held in Essex.
Colin was elected as a Borough Councillor for Weymouth and Portland Borough Council in May 2012 for a term of four years.

Martin Cooke MSc DipM – TOCT Project Coordinator

Martin CookeMartin lives in Tolpuddle and is the director of Heritage & Leisure, a consultancy that over the last 8 years has assisted in developing a range of heritage, arts, play and sports projects in Dorset, Devon and Somerset, and in the process raised over £10m. With a specialism in heritage projects Martin has project managed developments at Durlston Castle, Chesil Beach Centre and Shire Hall, Dorchester. Within Tolpuddle, project managing the development of Orchard Meadow and a new multimedia trail on the Tolpuddle Martyrs story, has highlighted the importance of restoring the former Chapel and developing its active use.

Sue Adams – TOCT Solicitor

Sue AdamsSue moved to Tolpuddle in 2013 and has lived in Dorset for most of the last 30 years. She attended Southampton University and the College of Law in Chester and is a solicitor and Chartered Tax Adviser. She advises on all personal affairs and tax, including Wills, Trusts, Inheritance tax, Lasting Powers of Attorney and Court of Protection and Charities and is a partner in Steele Raymond LLP in Bournemouth. Sue became involved with the Tolpuddle Chapel Trust after meeting Martin Cooke in connection with the Shire Hall Project in Dorchester.

John Bacon – TOCT Administrator

Born in Yorkshire, John has lived in Dorset since 1967 and in Tolpuddle for the last nine years. He retired from the Dorset police in 1990 in the rank of Chief Superintendent before working in the security sector.
John served as Trustee for a pension scheme and was a founding member and Treasurer of the local committee responsible for creating the Orchard Meadow recreation area in Tolpuddle and is currently Secretary of the local project group seeking to develop Tolpuddle Village Hall. John has also been a school governor and Chairman of a Parish Council in East Dorset.